Chest Tube Sim
Mixed Simulator of Chest Tube Insertion
This robust, turnkey mixed reality simulator simulates part of an anatomically correct thorax for practicing, learning, teaching and debriefing a chest tube thoracostomy procedure.
Designed for austere environments, it does not require wireless or internet access or wet fluids; accepts 110/220V, 50—60Hz. It can be unpacked and set up by a person unfamiliar with it and be operational in 5-7 minutes.
The portable simulator fits inside a military-spec padded case with inbuilt wheels and telescoping pull-handle that meets airline checked luggage size limits (L+W+H=60”) and weighs less than 50 lbs.
- 3D-printed physical thorax including ribs and pleural space – Virtual model of the anatomy of the heart, lungs, liver, and diaphragm
- Tracked instruments: chest tube, Kelly clamp, finger tracker, and virtual camera controller
- Common SMMARTS modular stand with interoperable instruments for use with other modular anatomies
- Automated checklist algorithm and replay system
- Adheres to SMMARTS (System of modular, mixed and augmented reality tracking simulators) rapid simulator development platform (modular stand and SDK) specs
- Quick-release placement and indexing of SMMARTS-compliant anatomies to SMMARTS platform
- Precise sub-millimeter tracking of all tracked tools
- Skin-like replaceable inserts with muscle tissue can be rejuvenated in-situ for indefinite re-use
- Chest Tube Thoracostomy
- Designed for future addition of pericardiocentesis
- Adjustable view modes for realism and AARs (after action review)
- Cognitive aids for chest tube placement
- Tactile feedback of ribs and pleura
- Debriefing with replay of past procedures
- Large left and right chest tube insertion zones
- Capable of several tube placements each side before rejuvenation is necessary