The Maintenance of Certification of Anesthesiology Program (MOCA®) is regulated by the America Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) and is designed to promote lifelong learning, a commitment to quality clinical outcomes and patient safety.
*There have been many changes to meetings and certification requirements for 2020.
- The American Board of Anesthesiology is waiving MOCA requirements for 2020.
- All Simulation Education Network programs will have their endorsement expiration date extended by one year. The required course volume will be excused for one year, which translates to 2 courses.
MOCA® assures the public that physicians:
- Are up-to-date with knowledge of their specialties
- Hold unrestricted medical licenses
- Are respected in their practices by peers and patients
- Demonstrate professionalism as physicians
- Continually evaluate and improve their practices
What to Bring
- Scrub top
- Light jacket or sweater
- 7:15 – 7:30 Arrival & sign-in
- 7:30 – 7:45 Breakfast
- 7:45 – 8:00 Introduction
- 8:00 – 12:00 Simulation
- 12:00 – 12:30 Lunch
- 12:30 – 2:30 Simulation
Parking & Location
Parking is free of charge on weekends. Please be aware of any scheduled home UF football games as this can increase activity on campus.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of fire triangle, risk factors, mitigation, response to fire, prevention, and team communication to prevent
- Pre-use anesthesia machine check
- Complete a differential of PACU hypotension and desaturation
- Effectively communication across the operative team during crisis/ adverse events
- Prioritize and manage anaphylaxis in the operating room
This one day course satisfies a requirement of the ABA’s MOCA® program that encourages lifelong learning. The ABA recognizes simulation training as an innovative, experiential, and contextual learning opportunity to assess and improve practice in areas such as crisis management at an American Society of Anesthesiologists-endorsed simulation center. Completion of our simulation course satisfies the Practice Performance Assessment and Improvement component in Part IV of the ABA’s MOCA® program.
Our participants have included anesthesiologists, anesthesiology residents, SRNAs, CRNAs, and CAAs as well as medical, nursing and respiratory therapy students and paramedics. The program has also been used by the Florida Cares program to evaluate anesthesiologists who have had questions raised about their clinical competency by one of the state Boards of Medicine and by anesthesiologists returning to practice after voluntary absence such as extended maternity or medical leave. In addition, the center also trains medical, nursing and dental students as part of their educational program and provides ACLS exercise training.
ACCME Accreditation and Designation Statements
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint provider-ship of The American Society of Anesthesiologists and the University of Florida. The American Society of Anesthesiologists is accredited by ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. More information on ABA MOCA 2.0.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists designates this live activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
IMPORTANT: If the minimum class size is not reached 30 days prior to the course, you will be notified of the course cancellation and obtain a full refund or have the option to choose another course date. If you are flying to attend the course, we recommend booking your flight after our deadline for cancellation (30 days before the course) has elapsed.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations, by participants, more than one month prior to course will receive a full refund minus a $250 processing fee. There will be no refunds for cancellations, by participants, within 30 days of the course.
For additional information, email MOCA@anest.ufl.edu