Ultrasonography Trainer (UST) Simulator
Cross-Sectional Literacy & Ultrasonography Trainer
This robust, turnkey, mixed-reality simulator is designed to help novices understand and acquire fundamental cross-sectional literacy and ultrasonography (US) skills.
Based on the premise that it is a cognitive overload for novices to learn both US skills and unfamiliar anatomy, the trainer gets rid of anatomy as a “distraction” so that learners can focus on hands-on US skills acquisition. Anatomy is instead replaced by virtual familiar 3D objects like cylinders, cubes, and pyramids.
Designed for austere environments, this procedure-agnostic simulator does not require wireless or internet access or wet fluids and accepts 110/220V, 50/60Hz. It can be unpacked, set-up, and operational by an unfamiliar person in 5-7 minutes. The portable simulator fits inside a military-spec padded case with inbuilt wheels and telescoping pull-handle that meets airline checked luggage size limits (L+W+H=60”) and weighs less than 50 lbs.
We can provide access to the simulator or copies of the simulator. Contact us for details.
- Virtual, regular and familiar 3D objects such as cones and cylinders encased in gel
- Virtual model of simplified targets and no-go areas
- Tracked instruments: needle, ultrasound probe, virtual camera (interoperable between SMMARTS-compliant simulators)
- Common System of Modular Mixed and Augmented Reality Tracking Simulators (SMMARTS) modular stand for use with other modular anatomies and procedures
- Automated scoring and replay system for after action review (AAR)
- Instructional materials teach fundamental cross-sectional literacy skills and ultrasonography techniques and procedures
- PART; use all DoF of US probe
- Scout scan
- Needling; tilt peek and slide
- Maintaining a short axis view while following a vessel
- Adheres to SMMARTS rapid simulation development platform specifications
- Quick-release placement and indexing of SMMARTS-compliant anatomies to SMMARTS platform
- Uses familiar, regular 3D objects like cylinders and cones that have readily recognizable reference planes or features
- Precise sub-millimeter tracking of all events
- High-durability skin can be rejuvenated in situ for indefinite reuse
- Integrated structured curriculum
- Adjustable virtual ultrasound targets and difficulty levels
- Adjustable view modes for realism and AARs
- Ultrasound probe with depth markers
- Debriefing with replay of past/saved procedure
- Hybrid cross-sectional view (3D visualization in back half)
- Anisotropy simulation for needles and other objects
- Cognitive aids for US probe and needle orientation
- Tactile feedback of bone and ligament puncture